Friday, June 12, 2009

Why Me?

God Doesn't Call The Equipped He Equips The Called

I've heard that line a dozen times. "God Doesn't Call The Equipped He Equips The Called". But it is so true. How often if life do we feel like we are not the right person for the job? I've felt that way before and more than once I've questioned why God uses me at all. I am a big screw up! We all are. The bible is very clear that none of us are perfect. Not me, not your pastor or priest, not even Mother Teresa. But that is what is so great about God. He doesn't care about what you have done or where you have been or anything about your past. Once you are forgiven all that old junk is forgotten. Forever.

Take Moses for instance, what a great story the bible tells us about a man who thought God was making a huge mistake in calling him to lead his people.

10 But Moses said to the Lord, “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.” 11 Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man’s mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? 12 Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.” 13 But he said, “Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.” 14 Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses and he said, “Is there not Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well. Behold, he is coming out to meet you, and when he sees you, he will be glad in his heart. 15 You shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth, and I will be with your mouth and with his mouth and will teach you both what to do. 16 He shall speak for you to the people, and he shall be your mouth, and you shall be as God to him. 17 And take in your hand this staff, with which you shall do the signs.”

First, I don't ever want to make God angry. (I see lightning bolts from the sky when I think of that) Second, Moses was a lot like me! God calls him and he says what? "God, I'm not eloquent and I'm a slow speaker" and then he asks God to send someone else. He is basically saying to God, "Are you crazy? Me? No Way! Send someone else!" But look at what God says, “Who has made man’s mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? and then, “Is there not Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well. Behold, he is coming out to meet you, and when he sees you, he will be glad in his heart. 15 You shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth, and I will be with your mouth and with his mouth and will teach you both what to do."

Moses was the one God had chosen. Moses thought God was crazy but did what was commanded of him. God then gave to Moses everything he needed to be successful. He equipped the called. God still does this today. Take me for instance. As a young child I took speech classes to help my speech and my stuttering issue, God took care of that. As I got older, I had issues that I needed help with, again I cried out to God and he took care of that too. With the morning show, I was scared to death of what was going to happen, what it would be like alone on the air, could I really handle everything. God brought Abby into the picture and now things are going great. At every turn I was saying "Why me? Why now? Why this? Why? Why? Why?" but God just kept saying "Go, I got you".

He did. At every turn God has been there. I think about something Brother Ron once told me, "If God brings you to it, He'll take you through it". So true. If you feel like God is calling you to something, don't worry. He will equip you and guide you through whatever it is. And don't let whatever is in your past keep dragging you down, making you feel like you are never going to be good enough. You are. Just say yes to whatever God has for you. He will never let you down.

Carlos

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carlos...kool blog...
I used to think that and then one day i had a thought and this is how it went "God is perfection and he's the best that's ever gonna get rite..so then if i am good enough to be his daughter then who am i to go against it"...
Peace
SJ