Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Missions Trip

Houston, We Are Go...

So a really neat thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I get to my office after the show and on my desk is a folder loaded with information about a mission trip headed to the Dominican Republic (from here on out simply called "The DR"). My first thought was that they wanted me to interview them about going to the DR and how they would be bringing down medical aid to that country. Attached to the folder I see a number, a name and a church: Jennifer Wright, 813--------, South Tampa Fellowship. Intrigued and thinking it might make a good interview I called the number hoping for voicemail, but Jennifer picked up, I didn't really know what to say so I just asked the dumb question, "So....why did I get this packet?" Jennifer goes on to tell me all about the trip and what they were going to be doing and how her team was praying one day for more men to go on this trip when my name came up. So she then threw this questions my way, "What do you think about going on a missions trip?"

STOP THE PRESSES! Me go to the DR with Doctors and Nurses who are treating people for God knows what, when I can barely handle needles and blood and other random bodily functions! No way, I don't do trips to the Caribbean unless they involve me sitting beach side in board shorts working on my tan lines. I know...a very sad first thought.

But the more I spoke with Jennifer the more I felt like I was meant to go on this trip. I kept thinking about the verse in Matthew, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Thankfully I'm not one to make rash decisions so I told Jennifer I would pray about it and see how I felt.

Now, two solid weeks later I have my answer....

I'm headed on my first real missions trip. I'm not really sure how I'm going to fund the trip, God is going to have to open up some doors for me, but I truly feel like God is calling me to go on this trip. I'm looking forward to some alone time with Him AND really putting my money where my mouth is for once.

It's really easy for me to sit in a comfy studio behind a mic and talk about what God is calling us to go and do and how we should strive to say yes to His calling in our life. But if God calls me and I say No, after I've been preaching about how you should say Yes, then I'm a hypocrite. And that's not me.

So please pray for me and the team I will be traveling with October 10 - 17 as we embark on a Medical Mission Trip to the DR. I will have more details coming as we prepare to go and a complete recap once I get back. Also, whatever calling it is that God lays upon your heart I pray that you would say Yes. Maybe it's not the missions field. Maybe it's something a whole lot easier or maybe a whole lot harder. Just know that if God brings you to it, He'll get you through it.

Carlos

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I had no idea you wanted to interview me. That's hilarious.

God works in funny ways. You agreeing to come is just another example of why it's important to just obey when God tells you to do something.

I tried to talk myself out of inviting you for almost 2 months. "You don't even know him?" "He probably gets asked all the time?" "He works full time in ministry. He's probably too busy to go?"

And then I asked and you said yes.

God is good. All the time!