Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fatherly Advice

Thank You Dad

I've been truly blessed to have a great father. My dad and I are really nothing alike and yet whenever I have any questions or doubts or fears or whatever, the first person I think about going to is him. It's really weird too, for being his son I don't know how I ended up so polar opposite. I love sports, my dad not so much. He loves computers, the programming and technological side of it all, I love the video games you can play on them. I love to travel and be outside, he loves his house and the computer in his office. But through all of our differences in personality and life, he has found a way to reach me and help me become the man I am today. He has always been there for me and I pray he always will be. My mom gave me all the nurturing and comfort, but it was my dad who gave me my foundation and guidance.

Best advice he ever gave me, "When in doubt, don't". Simple, yet so profound. That one line has kept me out of so much trouble. My dad always told me to think before I acted, have a plan and a strategy for all I did in life and when I had any doubt or a feeling in my gut, to follow it. I always have and it's almost always been the right thing to do.

Many thanks to my dad for always being the one I can count on and for never letting our very different styles get in the way of a friendship I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

Here is something that I was emailed Friday morning, a poem for fathers. I don't know who wrote it, but it was nice. Enjoy and have a blessed fathers day weekend.

A Father Is:

There in every memory
See his love and care
Strength and hands to count on
Freely he does share
Provider, toil so faithfully
To make our dreams come true
Give strong and tender discipline
Though it is hard to do
A Father is God's chosen one
To lead the family
And point it to
His will for life
Of love and harmony...
-Author Unknown
Carlos


No comments: