Friday, June 27, 2008

Winking


Good or Evil?

I know, weird question to ask when talking about the wink, right? Well...maybe not. At least not according to my wife. Here's the thing. My wife can't stand the wink, especially when I do it. She feels it's sly or sneaky or misleading or whatever she feels, but I know she doesn't like it. So much so, she sent me a list of biblical verses talking about how it is never referred to in a positive light. Check these out:

Proverbs 6:12-13 (KJV) Neither let them wink with the eye that hate roe without a cause. A naughty person, a wicked man walketh with a froward mouth. He winketh with his eyes.

Proverbs 10:10 (KJV) He that winketh with the eye causeth sorrow.

Job 15:12-13 (KJV) Why doth thine heart carry thee away? and what do thy eyes wink at, that thou thurnest thy spirit against God.

According to her, these are the reasons why we shouldn't wink at each other.

I don't get it. Yes maybe back then or in certain cultures, but when I wink at people, it's usually in a joking manner. Never to be flirtatious or mean or harmful. Then again, that is some fruit for thought. Enjoy.

Carlos

2 comments:

Gregorio said...

A mi también me caen mal las personas que guiñan el ojo, no sé porqué.
Me suenan a arrogantes, como que muestran todo bajo control (in a cocky way)

Anyway, I was just looking for wink pictures and that brought me to you're blog. Seeing that you're name is Carlos I assumed I could post in spanish. If not I simply said that I don't like people that wink neither, not for biblical reasons though.

Thanks for the wink picture xD
bye

Anonymous said...

Just like intentions behind the words, it's not the act of winking but the reason why that's important. When I wink at someone, it's a way to say hey there or a confirmation of agreement. I have strong faith and belief in God. The bible is translated in many ways but I leave you with this...how many one handed Christians do you see walking around because the sinning with their right hand?
Lisa