Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pride vs Prejudice


My point of view...

Today on the show we spent a good portion talking about the uproar in regards to the possible placing of a very large Confederate flag near the junction of I-4 and I-75.

From my point of view, when I see the confederate flag I don't see southern pride or a positive southern history. I see a flag that represented those who were pro slavery. When I think of slavery, I think of all the grave injustices and cruelty done to African Americans. Whether or not my thought process on the flag is historically accurate, it is what pops into my head when I see that flag.

Now, I know that the Civil War was fought for much more than slavery. I know that some of those born and raised in the South, take a great deal of pride in that flag and those who died for it. As Americans we should have a great deal of pride. We should take pride in our heritage, in our country and in ourselves. Pride is OK. But my history classes in high school and college painted a very dark image of the flag in my head and when I see it, I don't see pride, I see prejudice.

My final thought is this. God calls us to love thy neighbor. A recurring theme on this mornings show. If my neighbor is hurt by my flying a flag that in their eyes represents hate, then I personally wouldn't fly it. The South didn't win the war. That flag is only recognized as a part of history. That is where I would leave it. In the history books. The Civil War was such a dark time for our nation anyway. It put families against each other, governments against each other and many lives where hurt on both sides. As one nation under God we should focus on being Christ to each other and lean on His love to guide us all.

Carlos

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey I see what the problem is...you are basing your feelings toward the flag on stuff you learned in HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY CLASS.

Take a college history class and you will see that blacks, Natives, Whites, rich and poor...fought under that flag.

The north has always had this ethnocentric attitude toward the south. It was like that in the beginning colonies...and it's still present today. Who do you think writes your high school history books? The textbooks are written by people who wanna make up for the "wrongs" inflicted on others.

High school history classes paint the picture of MY PEOPLE...the Native Americans...as being "victims"...if you read some books written by scholars who use PRIMARY SOURCES...then you will see that there is not a "victim," there is only two cultures clashing...with one culture being victorious...while still absorbing the culture of the other.

Lets just blame it all on the Romans...LOL. They tried to conquer the world....and the Union in the 1850s and 1860s definitely had that mindset. But the Confederates were too damn spoiled and stubborn to come to negotiations. And the Union was too damn egotistical. (Much like the British and American circa 1776)

And Onyx...believe me..we gave as good as we got. Watch "The Black Robe" and see how the Huron Natives treated their enemies.

Anonymous said...

Minda, I agree. Onyx, you should probably take an elementary level English class.