Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cry Out to God

A Good long run...

I like to run. By no means am I a distance or marathoner but I enjoy to get out there and bust out a few miles. Today I busted out 10. One the beach. In a long sleeve shirt.

Every now and again I'll get in a mood where I feel like I need to have it out with God a little bit. Not like Ephraim fighting an angel in the bible (Hosea 12) or even Lt. Dan yelling at God in Forest Gump. More like a heart to heart, where I lay out all of life's hurts and pitfalls in my life and beg (sometimes yell) for some answers.

Today was such a day...

I woke up in a funk this morning (if you could tell on the air I apologize) and when I got home I just felt like I needed to let out some of this pent up frustration and a good long run was what I thought I needed. About 4 miles into the run I realized that I was praying over my iPod music and I felt like I had some stuff I needed to get out. Thankfully I was out at Honeymoon Islands northern most point with nobody in sight and a huge gulf to yell at. So I prayed, LOUD, and let out everything I felt I needed to let out so God would hear me. It's not like he didn't already know, He's God, He knows everything, but letting it out of me felt good.

Nothing miraculous happened, the sea didn't part, an angel didn't appear, a bird did almost poop on me which for a moment I felt may have been God answering me. But just then, as I sat for a moment, in silence, and closed my eyes and listened to the waves crash, it was as if a boulder was taken off my shoulders. I felt a peace and love wash over me and it literally felt like just then a weight was taken off of me and thrown into the water. It immediately reminded me of Psalm 46 : 1 "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble".

I couldn't keep walking around holding onto this burden, only God could carry my load. God is our refuge and strength, why do we try to do everything on our own? A very present help in trouble, why do we not ask for it? God is there ready and waiting for you, just as he was for me today. I thank God for my run today, because the rest of my run felt like I was running on new legs and a lighter load. God is awesome. Just trust in Him and he'll show you the way.

Carlos

2 comments:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

A good run and prayer does lighten the load. Nicely said!

Although - I did need to giggle a bit about the bird. Life is funny that way.

Amy
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com

lisa said...

Carlos and abby I love to listen to you both.
I am new to this blog thing
but I love to talk to God and I love the beach