Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Warm and Fuzzies

Stop Hiding and Let God be God Already

Last night at High Dive, (my weekly bible study) Pastor Q said something that really hit me. He said something to the effect of, "Do we allow God to REALLY work in us? To work out the dark, the ugly, the secrets in our life. Or do we just like to get the warm and fuzzies we get from church or praise and worship?"

Ouch! What kind of hardball question was that! Who does Pastor Q think he is, Nancy Grace! That question hurt. But all the good questions do.

I love going to church on Saturday nights. I go in, chat up a few friends, sit down, praise and worship starts, we sing, we pray, Pastor Craig comes out, drops some knowledge, we pray, I chat up a few friends after service and then I'm out the door. I feel all warm and fuzzy. It's nice. But when did God have a chance to WORK in me? I was there. I talked with Him. I said "Hi God, Look at me. I'm at Church today. Hope your good. See you next week." But do I really give God the opportunity to pour into my life? During the week. Are we to busy for God? School, homework, kids, friends, family, work, where is God's time?

Some of the best conversation I have ever had with my dad have come when I've just sat down with him and started talking. Man to man, Father to Son. No TV, no anything, just me and my dad. I've learned some really tough lessons from my dad. Had some of the greatest truths ever told to me during those conversations. Why? Because I made the time. To let my earthly father drop some of his knowledge and experience on me. To let him work in my life and be my dad. Shouldn't it work the same with our Heavenly Father? I think so.

As our Heavenly Father, he is waiting for us to say, "I'm here. Let's talk." Not so he can drop kick us into submission for screwing up or telling us how dumb we are for failing again. We need to show up time and time again so he can begin fathering us, loving us. God isn't up there waiting for us to mess up so He can rain down eternal damnation on our forehead. He's waiting for us to run to him. So he can heal our hurts, mend our brokenness and be our father. In Love. Just like the story of the prodigal son. He ran off from home with his money, blew it all away, basically screwed up royally. Came limping back home, unsure of what his father would do. And like a gracious and loving father should do, he brought his son back in and welcomed him with open arms. That my friends is the love our God has for us. And then some.

Let God be God in your life. Let him work on "the ugly", "the secret" parts of your heart where the bad things we do lay. You know, the stuff we think we can hide from God. It might hurt a little. But in the end, I know, it will be the best for me and my God will take care of me. In Love.

Carlos

No comments: