Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Kings

New Show / Old Story

Last night I finally got around to watching the premier episode of NBC's new drama KINGS. NBC says this about their new show: Kings is a riveting new drama about a modern day monarchy. A contemporary re-telling of the timeless tale of David and Goliath. This series is an epic story of greed and power, war and romance, forbidden loves and secret alliances -- and a young hero who rises to power in a modern-day kingdom.

Now the story of the biblical King David is enough to sell me on this new series. The bible says he was a righteous king, although not without fault, he committed adultery and murder. He was still an acclaimed warrior, musician and poet being traditionally credited with the authorship of many of the Psalms. The story of King David shows us that with all of his greatness came a very real sense of the weakness of humanity and overwhelming love of God.

Really think about the life of King David, take a good hard look at this man of God:

David is chosen to be the next KING of Israel as the YOUNGEST of the sons of Jesse. Normally, the eldest son is chosen from the lineage of the King himself. God went outside of that blood line and chose the youngest of seven sons to be the next King to rule over Israel. Later David walks out in front of the entire Philistine army to take on their best warrior with only a sling and a few stones in the Valley of Elah. Goliath is challenging the Israelites to send their own champion to decide the outcome in single combat. David is victorious, the Philistines flee in terror and the Israelites win a great victory. David KILLED a man with only a sling and a stone! A GIANT no less. Saul makes David a commander over his armies and David is successful in many battles, and the people cry out saying, "Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands." Saul then turns on David out of jealousy and fear and trys to KILL him. So David flees to the wilderness. Later Saul is killed, David is made King and begins to rule over Israel. Only to then commit adultery with Bathsheba and KILL her husband! WHAT!?!? YES, he really did that.

David, was a great man but still struggled with his own humanity. Yet in all of the murder and adultery, God still said of David, "he is a man after my own heart". David did turn away from God for a time, but God never turned away from David. Personally, I know I can get like David sometimes in my own life. Granted, I've never killed anyone or committed adultery and have no plans to do either, but I still struggle with things. At times get mad at God, turn away and do my own thing. But my heart never truly leaves what God wants in my life. I will always chase after the things that God has for me. Their delivery into my life may cause me to freak out sometimes and turn away, but I try to always come back and say, "sorry God, for my own weakness". To which I know I am forgiven by the grace he has for each and every one of us.

If you have turned away and have run from the things of God, it's never to late to turn back and run toward Him. Maybe you have done some really bad things like David did. If God can forgive him, why not you. It's not to late. Let God be God in your life today.

And watch Kings. I will be. And I'll be reading along to see what's next. The best thing is that the spoilers are already written. IN THE BIBLE!

Carlos

No comments: