Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Being a Blogger

Carlos is going to be mad at me for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. Shh, don't tell.

I didn't want to blog. I'm not a blogger. The fact that the word can be used as a noun and a verb bothers me a little bit. The reason I don't blog is that I've always felt like it's a bit... what's the word... self-involved. If you blog, please don't be mad at me. I just feel like having a blog would be my way of saying: "How I feel about topic X is interesting and important enough that other people should want to read it." It's bad enough that I talk on the radio and constantly hope (and pray) that people care enough to listen. It's the same thing with the MySpace and Facebook pages with the constant pictures and status updates. Do people care that "Abby is... thinking about what she's going to make for dinner?" I suppose if people don't want to know what I think, they don't have to read my blog or look at my Facebook updates (which I don't actually post). So what's the problem then?


I think the problem is that I know my weaknesses and in different periods of my life I've struggled with vanity and self-absorption. Think about it. Have you ever hung up the phone after a conversation with a friend or family member and wondered, "Did I talk just about myself that whole time?" I surely have and it scares me that too much of that behavior will push away my loved ones. Do I really need a blog to push me even further into Abby's World?


At 2008's World Youth Day in Australia, Pope Benedict XVI urged young people to create “a new age in which hope liberates us from the shallowness, apathy and self-absorption which deaden our souls and poison our relationships.” I hear you, loud and clear B-16! I only have so much space in this head and heart of mine. If it's too full of myself, will I really have room for anyone else?


I thought and prayed about it and I'm going to give blogging a try. I love writing. I don't think I'm great at it, but I think I can compose a pretty good sentence and I think God gave me that talent. So I'll do my best to write from my heart. Hopefully, I'll learn something about myself in the process and you'll come to know (and like!) me a bit more too. My new status: "Abby is... a blogger."

1 comment:

Fernando said...

Hey Hey Hey...have you ever though of the word blog...doesn't it sound something like vomiting??? Like..."Hey dude, I was so sick yesterday...I blogged all over my keyboard!!!"? : )