Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Great Episode of Oprah

I used to be a big Oprah fan. My college roommates and I would tune in most days and I longed to be a audience member on her "Favorite Things" episode (OK - I still long for that). In recent years, she's said some things about her faith and the idea of being "spiritual" that have kind of rubbed me the wrong way, so I'm not watching too much anymore. But a couple of weeks ago, I tuned in for an episode about people who live lifestyles that are out of the ordinary. Lisa Ling was the correspondent and first she went and learned about life as a geisha. Most of the show though, was dedicated to the Dominican Sisters of Mary. Lisa Ling stayed overnight at their convent in Ann Arbor, Michigan and then a few of the sisters were brought on the show.

I have to say the one thing that stood out the most to me was their happiness. These ladies were so joy-filled! I've met several nuns in my day. Some were very serious and others could be better described as "merry," but each of them in their own way to me is a model of dedication to Christ. It's not an easy life. In these times especially, the value of a woman is so heavily placed on beauty and her role as a wife and mother. To choose to live a celibate life and to never marry or have children (or make-up in most cases!) takes a true calling.

If you missed it, click here to see a portion of the segment. There is even a local girl, Gina in it. She's pals with Olivia. The after-the-show segment here talks about the importance of silence and meditation. What a great message forall of us who often have difficulty slowing down and spending some quiet time with God. It's also a reminder to pray for vocations to the religious life. There are plenty of people and things leading our kids into the complete opposite direction of a life dedicated to Christ. We need to be strong in our prayers and support as well.
-Abby

1 comment:

Arleen Spenceley said...

The simplicity that nuns embrace is also inspiring! I, personally, have long been fascinated by Franciscan friars for that very reason. I wrote about a Tampa friar last year and in interviewing him, found out lots about the very little he has... a pair of sandals, a pair of shoes for winter and a pair of sneakers for walking. A light habit (maybe two?) for summer, a warm one for winter. Everything else -- the computer, the car, the phone belongs to the church.

How I wish I could simplify THAT much. Love it!