Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Addiction

So I Love Coffee...

It was pointed out to me the other day that I may have an addiction to coffee. Like a real problem. Funny enough, as I write this I do it with a warm cup of delicious Starbucks Grande White Chocolate Mocha to my left. This man said to me that he has notice how often I speak about coffee and how he never really sees my without a cup in my hand. By the off chance he does catch me without one, I generally say, "I just finished a cup" OR "I'm heading out to get a cup." He said I have a real addiction problem. To which I laughed off...but I starting thinking about...

I found this on addiction...

A scientist conducted an experiment in which he made cocaine available to some
monkeys. These monkeys could pull a lever in their cages to release a little cocaine into their feeding tray. Not surprisingly, the monkeys became addicted to the drug. As the experiment continued, the scientist found that if the addicted monkeys could get additional cocaine hits any time they wanted by just pulling the lever, all of them would overdose. They all ended up killing themselves.


The scientist then tried another experiment with addicted monkeys. He began to
withhold the fix when the monkey pulled the lever. Over and over these monkeys pulled
the lever, trying to get cocaine. They continued to pull the lever not ten times, not a hundred times, or even a thousand times. Those addicted monkeys pulled it an average of 12,800 times!


Powerful addictions can rule the lives of people—addictions to work, food, gambling, sex, alcohol, or drugs. Some finally reach a point where they lose any hope of breaking free. Some even turn aside from help offered, convinced that they’re a hopeless case.

But there’s hope in Christ. He can set any person free from the addiction of sin. He can give you a fresh start on your life. When you invite Christ into your life, the change begins to take place—from the inside out. You can’t beat addictions on your own, but through the power of Christ, you can be set free. “It is not I who lives, but Christ in me”
(Galatians 2:20).


So after reading this I look back at my beautiful sand colored cup with its brown 60% post consumer fiber belt and think. Am I really a slave to you? The short answer was, No. The long answer was, Maybe. Its true, I cant start my days without it. I get headaches from lack of it. I get cravings for it. All signs of an addiction, a dependency on my espresso mocha goodness.

To be honest, in the grand scheme of things I highly doubt my coffee "addiction" is taking anything away from me spiritually. Its not robbing me of my time with God, or time with family or friends which addiction to things like, drugs or sex or alcohol can and will do. But it made me think that in earnest...the only thing I need or want to be addicted to is Him. My life should start with God, not a cup of coffee, His strength should be what gets me through, not a mid-day java jolt.

If anything, my conversation with a friend about my coffee intake has helped me see my life through a different pair of eyes. Which is a good thing. I see my need for Him, my need for a savior and I acknowledge how I should make sure my life is free of any addiction that would keep me from spending time with the things that matter most. God, family, work and friends.

Be Blessed.

Carlos

No comments: