Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Pedestal

Life

Its funny how often when people find out what I do, they think I am this deep theologian who never sins and is constantly on his hands and knees worshipping at the feet of God. The funny thing is that I do it too! To others who are Pastors, Priests or even my favorite Christian artists. We pedestal them. We expect more from them because they are "up there" on the stage, in the lime light, working for the kingdom of God. In truth, if you've heard my radio show then you already know, I am just like you. I never went to bible college, I don't hold degrees in theology and while I do my daily devotionals and really enjoy my quiet time with God, I don't spent 20 hours a day at His feet. Although if I did, image how radically different I would be! Hmmm...

The truth is, I ride motorcycles, I have tattoos, I listen to really heavy hard rock and rap music that aren't always from "Christian" artists, I struggle with things in my life, I sin, I am a human being! I am just like you, just like Billy Graham, Joel Osteen, TobyMac and the rest. In God's eyes we are all the same. His children. We all struggle, we all fall, we all need a savior. We all need JESUS.

From time to time I get down on myself and I say, "Why cant I be more like so and so" and in truth I don't know why. God wants me to be, me. He created a Carlos, not a Carlos in a Billy Graham body. We all have a specific purpose in life. Mine right now is Spirit FM. Billy Graham's was his crusades. Toby has his music. All for the glory of God.

It is nice to have role models, people we can look up to. But we shouldn't pedestal them. Hold them to this untouchable standard because then we lose sight of how great we can be too. Maybe you won't grace the stage in concert for thousands or maybe you won't have a radio show heard all over the bay. But maybe, just maybe, you reach the one God called you to reach. Today, during my thought for the day I mentioned how one youth pastor took me out to a Christian dance club called Tidal Wave and that is where God birthed in me the desire to start DJing. Well a listener who heard me was from that club. She called up and told me how she had been struggling lately with that time in her life, asking God what good came from that place and if anybody was touched. Well, if not for that building, that Christian Club, that youth pastor all doing what God had called them to do, if they all chose to do their thing and not Gods things, maybe I am not where I am today. More in love with God than ever before, in the air at Spirit FM, doing Gods work.

No matter how big or how small the calling, in Gods eyes we are all crucial, all special, all loved and all needed. There is a big picture that only God can see. We are all role players. Some of us mouth pieces, some hands, some feet, some eyes, some ears, ALL apart of the same body of Christ. Remember we are all human, we all fall short and thankfully God loves us and is a savior to us all. We all have a calling and God is ready to get you in the game.

Be Blessed.

Carlos

No comments: