Thursday, September 24, 2009

3:1

I've heard runners say that while running, they have very deep thoughts about life and how life is just like a run or a race. Even Paul in 2 Timothy 4:7 says "I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith." It's true. Life is like a long run. Sometimes you get tired. Sometimes you want to quit. Other times you feel like you could conquer any hill.

As I've mentioned before, I've set a goal for myself of a 5K per month. So far I've done three. June, July and September (Couldn't find one in August that would work with my schedule). To train for these monthly races, I've been trying a 3:1 system. I'll run for three minutes and walk for one. I do that for about 32 minutes and cover about 2.7 miles. Yeah, I know. A 5K is 3.1 miles. For that leftover .4 of a mile, I'm just relying on God to move me towards the finish line. So I was run/walking last night and I was thinking about how much I love the one minute of walking and how much I hurt during the three minutes of running. That one minute flies by, while the three minutes of running seem to never end. This led me to think of several metaphors.

The one that made the most sense in my head though, is that life is often dealt out in threes and ones. Sometimes I feel like I only have one minute of good to breathe in before that watch timer beeps and I have to start back into the three minutes of discomfort. For you, maybe the one minute is the time you have in the evening with your family, sitting around the dinner table. Or maybe it's church on Sunday.

Here's what I'm thinking though: Amidst the pain and discomfort of the three minutes of running I can still find the good. Even though I was tired while I was running, I was thinking of how blessed I am to be able to go out and use my legs. I thought of how the walking might be easier, but the running is making my muscles and lungs stronger.

So next time the timer beeps and you have to start running again, try to focus on the good. I know it can be tough. You're never running alone though. Jesus is with you. The communion of saints is with you. We'll run the race together and reach our ultimate and beautiful goal.

-Abby

2 comments:

Beth Stotts said...

Thank you! I am training for a marathon in October. It is my first marathon and it has been tough. I am burnt completely out.

It is funny that you mentioned running as a metaphor for life. I was thinking that same thing during my run this weekend.

I was thinking how each mile is a major milestone to life. Sometimes through the pain, you have to keep pushing through knowing God is right there encouraging you to keep going.

The runner's high helps us get to the next milestone which is similar to the grace and love God gives in every season of our life. When we are in those highs it is putting us closer to God, to keep us closer to him in our walk (or run :))when times are tough.

Thank you Abby. I needed this today.

Unknown said...

Just found your blog and this is a perfect post. I am training for my first half marathon and I love the 2 Tim verse. My husband has a great verse on the back of a running shirt and I've been waiting for one to hit me for the race. Got it!

The 3 and 1 is a great analogy, I do 5 aned 1 and know exactly what you mean. If we can apply that principal to God - we may have 5 minutes of struggle but the 1 minute that God redeems us is 10 times better! God Bless!