Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Embracing Uncertainty

I don't remember when or where I first came across the popular excerpt from Thomas Merton's "Thoughts in Solitude," but it was one of those things that spoke right to me and I immediately became attached to it. In high school I posted it on my bulletin board in my bedroom and it traveled with me to my college dorm room. A few years ago it came up in conversation around my family and my dad told me he carries it around in his wallet. When that happened, I smiled and thanked God for being so awesome.

Lately it's been popping up all over the place. I saw it on a blog a few days ago. It was brought up at a staff retreat last week... (I get it Holy Spirit! Loud & clear!), so I think it's worth sharing. I've admitted that as a person who likes to make plans for everything and be in control, I struggle with worry and trust. But it can be liberating to embrace uncertainty through the practice of trust. I think it's called having faith!This is a great reminder of how important it is to trust in God's plan for you.

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does, in fact, please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore, I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

-Abby