Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Correction

Would You Mind if...
OH PLEASE! Gimme a break! Why do some people feel the need to correct every little misstep and mistake we make in life? It's a little annoying!
God knows I love Abby, she's great. She truly is a joy to work with and I wouldn't want to have any other person on air with me for four hours a day just to then go share an office for the rest of the day. But she is one of "those" people. People who feel the need to correct every grammatical mistake, every brain fart and every Freudian slip. For some of them they don't even realize they are doing it. It's like it is just a part of their make up. As if God himself embedded into their genetic code this inert desire to correct others their missteps. Did I mention it was annoying to the rest of us?
Now, I know, I know. I'm not exactly a shining star of perfection either, Lord knows I've got my problems too. This blog really isn't a jab at Abby either! She has recently told me that she is well aware of this minor imperfection in her personality as is actually working on it. I have suggested electro shock therapy or at least a visit to Tampa Bay Christian Counseling Center, but as far as I know she has not done either. But that's ok. We love her anyway.
So what sparked this tirade of a blog on those who feel the need to correct the rest of society?
Good question. Thanks for asking.
Earlier today I was feeling a little pale so I decided to go down to the pool and work on my tan at my neighborhoods clubhouse and rec center. The place was actually very packed and there wasn't much room to lay out, but I did see a spot to set up shop so I headed in that direction. There was a pool chair available, but it was right next to this lady. So I do the polite thing and asked, "Would you mind if I used this chair"? It really wasn't a question more or less a statement that I would be using this chair but her response was a little off. She says to me, "Would I? Well I don't know yet. Why don't you sit down and see if I do".
Huh?!?! (I know, my thoughts exactly.)
So I then just figure she is kidding and I quickly laugh off the comment and sit down. I lay out my towel, pull out my iPod, set my phone down and just as I am about to get comfortable she says to me, "Actually, I do mind. Be so kind as to move over a few feet, you are blocking my view of the pool and my grandchildren".
WHAT!?!? (I know, I know)
Her whole point to this line of conversation was geared around my apparent miss use of the phrase, Would you mind vs. Do you mind. She knew exactly what I meant when I said whatever it was that I said. Why even bother with anything else? Just say from the beginning, "You handsome stud of a man, I don't mind you using that chair as long as you move it over a few feet so I can see my grandchildren". Even if she drops the handsome stud part, that would have been enough!
There are days when I pray for peace and God decides to teach me patience. Today was a test of my patience. I was already in a stressed out mood and just wanted some quite time by the pool to relax. Instead I got a grandmothers mini trial of my patience and 3 little ones in the pool screaming bloody murder at each other for changing the rules to marco polo. Thankfully, God has a sense of humor about himself. First song on the iPod, Joy Williams, "One of those days". I said amen to that, spotted myself a quick time out, said a prayer and cranked that song up till I drowned out the shouting.
Life is good. Even when its just one of those days. Be Blessed.
Carlos

No comments: