Friday, May 22, 2009

God and 6 Pack Abs

Why Do We Do What We Do?

We get caught up in soooo many stupid fads and trends, don't we? I can think back to the 80's and remember all kinds of dumb fashion ideas.

Remember 80's hair? Come on ladies, you know you do...

Or how about the Trucker Hat Fad? Thank you Ashton Kutcher for this one...

Why do certain items or styles become must have's in our lives? Did we see some sexy TV starlet wearing this or that, or some hunky movie star with the abs from the movie 300?

It's funny, I was at the gym and my iTouch was on shuffle and a song from Lecrae came on called "Identity". The lyrics from that song hit me, HARD. "He live in the gym and his hair stay faded, late model car so they think he made it, but he's Christian he gave his life, but he still ain't satisfied in the savior Christ. Still finds his identity in looks and cars, if he only knew that he ain't have to look so hard, If looked in God, though it may seem odd he be so satisfied he could leave it all."

As I'm running on the treadmill trying to get me a set of my own six pack abs from the movie 300, I had to ask myself, why and for whom am I doing this for?

The song goes on to say, "I'm not the shoes I wear, I'm not the clothes I buy, I'm am not the house I live in, I'm not the car I drive, I'm not the job I work, You can't define my worth, By nothing on God's green earth, my identity is found in Christ."

Haven't we all at some point wanted to be someone else or have what someone else had. The hot car, the hot wife, the big house, the perfect body. But for what? If we put all our efforts in these earthly things then we'll miss out on all the things God has for us. We chase what the world says will satisfy us, but it never truly does. The new car is only new for a year or so, then a newer one comes out. Fads and trends change all the time, brown has been the new black twice since 1990 and I think blue is the new red right now. We keep searching for new looks and trends and ideas so we can stand out from the crowd, a look at me, look at me world, but God says "I'm right here, I see you and you're perfect just the way I made you"

He doesn't care about the clothes we wear or the car we drive. Whether I've got 6 pack abs or a two liter stomach. If we would find our worth and value in God's eyes, I know that we would all be truly satisfied.

So you might be asking yourself, did I get off the treadmill and go eat a doughnut? No, I kept on running, finished my work out. I'm just making sure my priority is in place. The body needs to be healthy and it's nice to look fit. But my identity is in God, not the 6 pack abs.

Here is the song by the way, in case you want to give it a listen:



Carlos

2 comments:

Stephany said...

So true, Carlos! My pastor talked on this subject a few months ago and what he said really got to me, how people always say, "If I just can have IT, THEN I will be happy." So we get "IT" and then there's a new IT we want so we're never really happy.

Also, I'm digging that photo of the 80's hairstyle! Haha. Man. It's sad that we're going to look back on family pictures now in twenty years and laugh at our hairstyles and clothes as well.

Anonymous said...

i believe that if one lives for christ then, they can be wearing everyday clothes and they would still stand out in the crowd...Theres a certain "aura" that shines through that makes you look at them twice....

~SJ~