Monday, July 21, 2008

Grocery Games

What Just Happened?

That was the only thing I could say to myself tonight after my visit to the grocery store. What? How? Where did I go wrong? Those questions kept coming, but the answers did not.

I wanted to grab a quick bite to eat after my workout tonight. Didn't really feel like whipping anything up in the kitchen so I decided to hit up Publix. For me, it's the best place to grab a quickie meal and still stick to the healthy eating kick that I've been on the past month. Besides, it's harder to cheat when you're not in the drive-thru of your favorite In and Out with calorie packed and fat drenched combos of love staring you down, tempting you with their juicy goodness. So I run in, grab a health conscience meal and head to my favorite line, the Express Line, 10 Items or Less.

So I'm in line, waiting my turn, when a there's a tap, tap, tap on my shoulder. Who's behind me? A "sweet" little old lady who's maybe in her mid 80's, no taller than 5'1'', silver haired and did I mention she had that patented sweet little old grandma face working for her. She asks me if I didn't mind letting her go ahead of me. Quickly, I scan her, no cart, no kids, no accomplice, 1 loaf of bread, no problem, so I say "Of course, go right ahead". She thanks me and then mentions how she is in a rush to get home and watch her favorite TV show. Feeling conversational I was just as I was about to ask her what that show was, when she yells like a banshee, "Come on Marv, move your sorry self, this nice young man is letting us through!". No lie, this really happened, today 7:00ish at Publix. Marv by the way, has a cart, with over 10 items.

At this point reference the Top line of this post. That question kept running through my head. How did this sweet little old lady pull a fast one on me like that. All I had was 1 item. She on the other hand had 17. I know this because I counted them. Twice. Why? How? And what show was that important? I'll never know. I wondered how Jesus would react in that scenario. First thought, thunderbolts and lightning and the opening up of an abyss! Second and most prevailing thought, love. Let it go. Pray for her. Move on. She knows what she did was wrong, why did I feel the need to tell her so. So I did just that. I bit my tongue, blessed her instead, and let the Lord deal with her later. Now looking back, I find it pretty funny. I wrote this in hopes that you may have had similar situations and this would make you laugh as well. Was I taken advantage of...maybe. That time. But doing things God's way will pay off in this life or in eternity. But it always pays off.

Be blessed.

Carlos

1 comment:

dydemus said...

Just a thought:
Mk 10:31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

You're just reserving another first in heaven :).