Monday, July 21, 2008

Anger Management

I'm Angry

As I write this, I’m getting over being angry. The kind of angry that makes you want to throw something just to see it break. Thankfully I didn't let it out like that, some prayer and some alone time worked just fine. Why I'm angry is not important, what is important is how we deal with anger.

Jesus calls us to forgive and to love, but as a frail human, it’s often hard for me to look past my anger and do that:

Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Matthew 18:21-22 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

Ok, so I've got to forgive in love and forget in my mind. But my anger isn't ready to go away just yet, it sitting there, festering. But I’m trying to get some perspective. To have some idea as to how to move past this. Nobody was injured, no property was damaged. Just pride. So my sin right now, is that I’m letting my pride get in my way of forgiving and moving on - no wonder it’s a sin.

I once saw a sign that read: It’s not bad for you because it’s a sin. It’s a sin because it’s bad for you.

That makes total sense to me right now. I think it’s time to forgive and move on, just as God commands us. More importantly, it’s time for me to ask for forgiveness for my own actions and to look past the perceived damage to my pride. Walking around angry is hard and life is hard enough without carrying that extra weight.

Carlos

2 comments:

Audrey said...

This blessed me. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your words and the picture is just enough to forget how angry i was.

a hug from Christ.