Friday, December 18, 2009

A Day Of Victories

On December 6th, my team of Spirit FM listeners and friends gathered for our inaugural race, the Sunshine Challenge to benefit the Pediatric Cancer Foundation and it was definitely a day of victories.

For most 5 Ks that I've signed up for, you sign up as an individual. On the Sunshine Challenge site, there was an option to form a team. I thought, "Why not?!" I figured I'd mention it on the air a couple of times and maybe a couple of listeners would join me. I was pleasantly surprised when, by race day, my team was thirteen strong!

We had small victories: Ashley ran farther than she ever had before and I had a personal-best time. Then there were some larger victories: My teammate, Sean was the first-place finishing male. I was so impressed and proud of my team! The biggest victory of all though was for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation. As we ran, there were posters along the route of children whose lives had been taken by cancer. Talk about motivation to keep running. It was a great day for a great cause.

The plan is to sign up for another race next month and keep "Abby's Spirit FM Team" up and running (no pun intended). Hopefully the team number will grow. So feel free to join in. All are welcome!
-Abby

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I am so glad I signed up to be on your team! It was lots of fun and it was for a great cause! That was my first race ever and since then I have kept running and just yesterday ran 7 miles! Let me know when the next one is :0)