Thursday, April 30, 2009

Heard The Word?

The Bird is the Word!

TWITTER! Yes, we Twit. Or Tweet I should say. Another way to communicate has arrived and I'm less impressed than the last time some new Internet sensation hit. This time they ask the question everyone wants to know..."WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Makes me ask the question: Do you really want to know that I just picked up after my dog? That is what I just did prior to sitting here for a quick blog entry. I walked little Hope, she went, I cleaned up. She is such a little doggie diva. Once she is done she stops and stares at me for a good 10 seconds. Then kicks at the grass and marches off leaving me her mess. I love her though.

I read today that 60% of new tweeps drop the sensation because they get bored and really don't care all that much about what the tweeters they follow are doing. This doesn't surprise me. The more I use Twitter, the more I realize it isn't for everyone. Why? Because most people really don't care what you're doing. And you don't care what they're doing, either.

Twitter has gotten oodles of media attention lately, and I'm guessing that many users are signing up just to see what the ruckus is about. If Oprah and Ashton Kutcher use Twitter, it must be worth checking out, right? But once the newbies spend a few days telling the world what they're doing in 140-character bursts -- or reading mind-numbing "I'm-at-the-market" updates from friends and family -- the novelty wears off in a hurry.

I'm not trying to trash Twitter, which I think is valuable social networking tool for personal and professional use. Spirit FM has a Twitter page to tell you what is coming up next! But I get why Twitter's retention rate is below 40 percent.

And it is nice to know that those whose lives are as boring as mine see the benefits of using Twitter to keep in touch. Even though I know I am coming off a little on the negative side of this Twitter thing, it's because I am on social network site overload. Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Youtube, My Blog all have me at their beck and call.

It's not all bad though. If God can use one twitter message to change a heart, then I'm OK with it. I just hope this Twitter thing phases out sooner rather than later.

Carlos

No comments: